Why is play so important?
- Article 13 UN Convention of the Rights of the Child – the right to play.
- increases self-awareness, self-esteem, and self-respect
- improves and maintain physical and mental health
- gives opportunities to mix with other children
- allows children to increase their confidence through developing new skills
- promotes imagination, independence and creativity
- offers opportunities for children of all abilities and backgrounds to play together
- provides opportunities for developing social skills and learning
- builds resilience through risk taking and challenge, problem solving, and dealing with new and novel situations
- provides opportunities to learn about the environment and the wider community
Presentation June 2017