In April 2013, the Government announced new funding (Sport Premium) for physical education (PE) and Sport to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision in schools until the end of the academic year 2015/16.
Sports Premium 2014 to 2015:
How it is being used to improve the quality of PE and Sport and ensure long term impact at Allfarthing School-
Competitive Sport and PE was a priority on the SDP for last year and there has been a significant improvement in this area as follows:
- Class teachers have benefited from having sports coaches (tennis, football and invasion games skills, netball) working alongside them at various points in the year as well as PE INSET
- All class teachers have been observed teaching PE across a range of curriculum areas such as dance, hockey, athletics, football and invasion games skills, and gymnastics. 100% of teachers are now able to teach good or outstanding lessons. This compares with 65% at the end of 2013 and 80 % at the end of 2014.
- However, we will want to continue a programme of support and training in the coming year, so that these standards are maintained and developed across the school. We will also continue to use sports coaches, in areas of the curriculum where we identify teachers need to improve their expertise.
- All year 3 – year 6 children went swimming for part of the year. High quality provision at Battersea Park (Harris Academy) means two coaches at every lesson as well as a teacher and TA.
- 90% of children leaving year 6 can now swim 25m+ compared with 65% at the end of 2013.
At Allfarthing School we have a number of after-school clubs for our pupils offering a wide variety of sporting opportunities. We ran internal squad-training sessions in netball and over the last year there has been a significant improvement in Allfarthing’s participation in a number of local sport competitions/tournaments including those organised by Wandsworth as well as competing in friendly fixtures against local schools. In many of these we are now, thanks to the improved coaching and dedication from our staff, enjoying and celebrating success. Our main sporting competitions are in hockey, netball, football, cricket and the Wandsworth swimming gala and cross country run earlier this year.
It is due to these additional funds that we are able to have achieved so much this last year and are continuing to improve on our sporting achievements this academic year.
For up to date informtion on our sporting fixtures and successes please visit our Sporting News page.
Plans for 2016 – 17
We intend to use the funding this year to continue the above activities but also to fund a sports coach who will work alongside class teachers for 4 afternoons a week to develop their confidence and expertise in teaching gymnastics and a range of games skills. This will help to ensure that high quality teaching of PE at Allfarthing can continue when the funding is withdrawn.